Mount Calvary Evangelical Lutheran Church and Grace Evangelical Lutheran Church, both of La Crosse, Wisconsin hereby resolve to unite their efforts in the vital task of supporting parents in their God-given responsibility to bring up their children in the training and instruction of the Lord through the joint operation of a school, and to that end subscribe to the following Articles of Agreement:
A. The name of this school shall be Mt. Calvary-Grace Lutheran School, and shall be used on the school building, letterheads, in the telephone directory, etc.
B. The abbreviated version of the school's name is "MCG."
II. Governing Body
A. The Mt. Calvary-Grace School Board shall be designated the governing body of the school.
B. The Mt. Calvary-Grace School Board shall have control over all school operations.
III. Mt. Calvary-Grace School Board
1. The Mt. Calvary-Grace School Board shall consist of three male voting members age 21 or older from Mt. Calvary Ev. Lutheran Church with three-year staggered terms and two male voting members age 21 or older from Grace Ev. Lutheran Church with three-year staggered terms. Board members shall be in good standing with their congregation.
2. The spouse of a called staff member shall not be eligible for board membership.
3. A minimum of three (3) voting members present shall constitute a quorum. In cases when four (4) voting members are present and a tied vote is taken, the principal may break the tie by voting if he so desires.
4. One pastor from each congregation and the school principal shall serve as advisory members.
5. One additional male congregational representative (elected by his congregation) from each congregation may serve as advisory member.
6. The principal shall represent the faculty of the school at all meetings. He shall bring before the board such matters as require consideration and submit reports to the board.
1. The meetings of the Mt. Calvary-Grace School Board shall be open meetings; however, individuals who wish to attend shall inform the board chair in advance of the meeting, expressing their intention of attending.
2. Individuals wishing to address the board shall so request from the chair at least 24 hours before the meeting.
3. The Mt. Calvary-Grace School Board shall not meet without the prior knowledge of the principal and one pastor of each congregation.
IV. Teachers’ Calls
A. The congregations shall call all teachers.
B. The needs of the school shall have primary consideration in the issuance of a call. The calling body retains the final authority over the call.
C. In order to maintain the proper relative representation of the congregations on the school faculty, the Mt. Calvary-Grace School Board shall recommend which congregation shall issue the call.
D. If this recommendation is rejected or if one congregation does not wish to maintain staffing at their current level, the issue shall be dealt with by the School Issue Resolution Committee.
E. Each congregation shall have the right to have at least one called teacher on the faculty.
F. The principal of the school and the athletic director shall be called by Mt. Calvary Lutheran Church.
V. Teachers’ Salaries
A. The Mt. Calvary-Grace School Board shall advise the congregations as to a salary scale, and shall submit its recommendations to the congregations for approval and inclusion in their annual budgets.
B. Each congregation shall establish and pay the salaries of its called teachers.
C. The matter of assigning and paying teachers for extra school duties shall be included in the school budget. Payments shall be made from the school budget to the congregation, intended to be included with the regular salary of the teacher performing the extra school duties.
D. The matter of assigning and paying teachers for congregational duties shall be left to the discretion of each congregation.
VI. Building Ownership and Maintenance
A. Mt. Calvary Lutheran Church shall retain full ownership of the building and is responsible for maintaining all building systems. (e. g. water, heat, walls, roofing, etc.)
B. The Mt. Calvary-Grace School Board is responsible for all interior building maintenance, paint, and furnishings.
VII. Budget Accounts & Finances
A. All congregational payments and all fees collected shall be placed into school budget accounts.
B. All designated gifts shall be placed into their designated school budget accounts.
C. All undesignated gifts and/or funds shall be designated by the board to school budget accounts as it deems appropriate.
D. The Mt. Calvary-Grace School Board shall establish an annual operating budget for the school, which is fiscally sound and sufficient to meet the school’s goals.
E. The budget shall require the approval of each congregation before it is adopted.
F. Operational expenses shall be shared by each congregation based on the following formula: (see attached information)
G. Expenses of the school shall include:
1. Operating expenses, such as salaries (early intervention teacher [remedial], school secretary, and school janitor), 1/2 of the building’s total materials production costs (photocopying), repairs, maintenance supplies, and substitute teachers
2. 5/7 of total building utilities costs, such as electricity, natural gas, telephone service, snow removal service, trash removal, and water & sewer charges
3. Administration expenses, such as continuing education, staff development, professional dues, and publications
4. Educational expenses, such as school textbooks, educational equipment, and supplies
5. Music expenses, such as choir music, school productions, equipment & instruments, and maintenance
6. Technology expenses, such as a/v equipment, computer hardware, software, supplies, and maintenance
7. Library expenses, such as library books and A/V resources
8. Athletic expenses, such as equipment, uniforms, and referees
H. Each congregation shall remit its share of the operational expenses in twelve equal monthly payments, with July as the month of adjustment.
I. Revenues gained from children of non-members shall be applied to school budget accounts.
VIII. Voluntary Assistance
A. Requests for voluntary help on school-related projects shall be made by the Mt. Calvary-Grace School Board Requests for voluntary help on school-related projects shall be made by the Mt. Calvary-Grace School Board to each congregation in sufficient time for response.
B. Each congregation shall urge its membership to respond to such calls for assistance.
IX. Assurance of Joint Operation
A. By ratifying these Articles of Agreement, Mt. Calvary Lutheran Church gives its assurance that it is willing to have children of Grace Lutheran Church in attendance at the school for the duration of the agreement.
B. By ratifying these Articles of Agreement, Grace Lutheran Church gives its assurance that children of the congregation will attend the school for the duration of the agreement.
C. These Articles of Agreement shall be declared null and void at any time by the mutual consent of the congregations.
X. Ratification of Agreement
A. These Articles of Agreement shall become effective when they have been ratified by each congregation and signed by each congregation's chair and secretary.
B. These Articles of Agreement may be submitted for revision before each congregation at such time when conditions indicate that a change may be desirable.
XI. Dissolution of Agreement
Should one congregation wish to terminate these Articles of Agreement, that congregation shall notify the other in writing not less than 15 months before termination is desired. The agreement shall then be dissolved.
XII. School Issue Resolution Committee
A. An arbitration committee shall be appointed at the request of the Mt. Calvary-Grace School Board or either congregation when the need arises due to disagreements.
B. The chair of each congregation shall appoint three adult members in good standing from his congregation to a School Issue Resolution Committee.
C. The School Issue Resolution Committee shall be responsible for resolving any school issues between the congregations, advising the congregations regarding interpretation of this agreement, the resolution of ambiguities, and the clarification or construction of it. (This includes financial disagreements.)
D. Members of this committee shall not be members of either congregation's church council (or equivalent) or of the Mt. Calvary-Grace School Board.
XIII. Congregational Authority
This agreement recognizes that final authority regarding all decisions pertaining to this agreement rests with each congregation.
Chair, Mt. Calvary Ev. Lutheran Church Chair, Grace Ev. Lutheran Church
Secretary, Mt. Calvary Ev. Lutheran Church Secretary, Grace Ev. Lutheran Church
Article 1 Mt. Calvary-Grace School Board Membership
1. The term of office shall be three years. Each member is limited to serve no more than two consecutive terms, and must wait one full term before any subsequent appointment or nomination for election can take place.
2. Appointments and/or elections shall take place in April, and done in accordance with the constitution and/or bylaws of each congregation.
3. Each term of office shall begin in July.
4. Terms of office shall expire on a rotating basis that is no more than one term of office from each congregation will expire in one year.
1. The office of Board Chair shall be filled by a voting member of the board:
a) Board Chair--The board chair shall preside as chairman of all meetings of the Mt. Calvary-Grace School Board and shall perform such other duties as may be assigned to him by the congregations. He shall have general supervision of the affairs of the Mt. Calvary-Grace School Board subject to the regulations of the congregations. He shall sign all legal and official documents directed to be executed by the Mt. Calvary-Grace School Board on behalf of the Mt. Calvary-Grace School Board and shall conduct all its business affairs according to established good order. He shall orient new members to their respective roles and responsibilities.
2. The following offices shall be filled by voting members of the board other than the Board Chair: The following offices shall be filled by voting members of the board other than the Board Chair:
a) Deputy Chair--The deputy chair shall function in the place of the chair during his absence. The deputy chair shall also serve as a committee chair, filling one of the following offices:
b) Education Committee Chair--The education committee chair shall preside as chairman of all education committee meetings and shall perform such other duties as may be assigned to him by the board chair.
c) Co/Extra Curricular Committee Chair--The co/extra curricular committee chair shall preside as chairman of all co/extra curricular committee meetings and shall perform such other duties as may be assigned to him by the board chair.
d) Finance & Budget Committee Chair--The finance & budget committee chair shall preside as chairman of all finance & budget committee meetings and shall perform such other duties as may be assigned to him by the board chair.
e) School Improvement Committee Chair--The maintenance & repair committee chair shall preside as chairman of all maintenance & repair committee meetings and shall perform such other duties as may be assigned to him by the board chair.
3. The offices of Board Chair, Deputy Chair, Education Committee Chair, Co/Extra Curricular Committee Chair, Finance & Budget Committee Chair, and Maintenance & Repair Committee Chair shall be filled in the following manner:
a) The board member having attained the most tenure shall choose from the vacant offices. This procedure shall continue, in turn, with the board member having next most tenure choosing from the remaining vacant offices. In cases of equal tenure, a representative from Grace has the first choice of roles.
b) Offices shall be filled each year, at the first meeting in the new fiscal year.
4. The following offices may be filled by members of the board: The following offices may be filled by members of the board:
a) Board Secretary--The board secretary shall record accurately the proceedings of all regular and special meetings of the Mt. Calvary-Grace School Board. The secretary shall be responsible for the legal records of the Mt. Calvary-Grace School Board. The secretary will assist in the orderly conduct of the business affairs of the Mt. Calvary-Grace School Board on behalf of the Mt. Calvary-Grace School Board. The secretary shall also perform such other duties as may be assigned by the Mt. Calvary-Grace School Board. The Board Chair shall appoint the office of board secretary.
Article 2 Meetings
1. The Mt. Calvary-Grace School Board shall hold regular and special meetings at such times and places, and upon such notice as it may from time to time fix by resolution.
B. Content & Records
1. The board secretary will keep minutes for each meeting, circulate to all members and file in the school office.
2. Board policies will be determined at official meetings, recorded in the minutes, and publicly shared with each congregation.
Article 3 Duties
1. The Mt. Calvary-Grace School Board shall establish and maintain a program of full time Christian education to assist parents in the spiritual education of their children. This shall be in the form of a school, serving children in prekindergarten through eighth grade.
2. The Mt. Calvary-Grace School Board shall fulfill the educational policies established by each supporting congregation.
3. The Mt. Calvary-Grace School Board shall promote good communications among the school, staff, Mt. Calvary-Grace School Board, pastors, and congregations as a vital ingredient in the successful joint operation of the school. The board will regularly report to the operating congregations and inform the school community of board decisions.
4. The Mt. Calvary-Grace School Board shall study present and future educational needs of the congregations, and take the necessary actions to fill those needs.
5. The Mt. Calvary-Grace School Board shall promote full time Christian education in the congregations whenever opportunities present themselves.
6. The Mt. Calvary-Grace School Board shall hold regular meetings and send a representative to the regular Church Council (or equivalent) meetings of each supporting congregation.
7. The Mt. Calvary-Grace School Board shall report on educational programs and challenges to the Church Councils (or equivalent) and to the congregations.
B. Within the School
1. The Mt. Calvary-Grace School Board shall establish short and long-range goals for the school.
2. The Mt. Calvary-Grace School Board shall establish, maintain, and support policies and guidelines dealing with: Relationship between our School & Congregations; Relationship between our School & Homes; Relationship between our School & Community; School Climate; Administration (Board of Education & Principal); Professional Personnel; Curriculum; Instruction; Instructional Materials & Resources; Student Services; Physical Facilities; Planning; Management, & Finances; Early Childhood Programs. These policies and guidelines will:
a) Establish the school curriculum
b) Encourage and advise the faculty
c) Encourage professional growth by the teachers
d) Approve the purchase of textbooks and instructional materials upon staff recommendation
e) Demonstrate concern through periodic visitations of the classrooms
f) See that an accurate and permanent record is kept of all children enrolled (this record includes academic, health, and attendance data)
g) Develop and adopt comprehensive position descriptions describing the role and job expectations for the principal and other staff persons (Staff persons include the called faculty and all other persons employed at the school.)
h) Ensure that the school meets all applicable local, state, and national requirements (e.g. teacher certification, building codes, teacher and student health, inspections, curricular, etc.)
i) The Mt. Calvary-Grace School Board shall establish, maintain, support, and oversee all subcommittees of the Board of Education and/or school organizations, like: Christian Education Society, Mt. Calvary-Grace Booster Club.
3. The Mt. Calvary-Grace School Board shall prepare an annual operating budget for the school, which is fiscally sound and sufficient to meet the school’s goals. This budget will require the approval of each congregation before it is adopted.
4. The Mt. Calvary-Grace School Board shall oversee the financial transactions of the school, both budgetary and non-budgetary.
5. The Mt. Calvary-Grace School Board shall follow the Articles of Agreement and use it as a basis for the operation of the school.
Article 4 Committees
A. The Education Committee shall:
1. Establish a long term plan/needs analysis
2. Oversee all curricular areas
3. Direct the use and regular review of all texts, teaching, & support materials
4. Manage the use and regular review of all technology & AV equipment
B. Co/Extra-Curricular Committee shall:
1. Establish a long term plan/needs analysis
2. Oversee all athletic functions
3. Oversee all school music functions (e.g. band, choir, piano), and act in harmony with congregational music personnel
4. Oversee all dramatic functions
C. The Finance & Budget Committee shall:
1. Annually determine income by establishing a fee structure for each affiliated congregation, establishing a fee structure for members & non-members, and managing fund raising activities.
2. Annually establish a long term plan/needs analysis
3. Annually establish a school budget, approved by each congregation
4. Establish a priority list of payments
5. Establish and monitor the following accounts:
a) School Operation account
b) Administrative account
c) Education account
d) Music account
e) Technology account
f) Library account
g) Athletic account
6. Pay and track all school expenses
a) Pay 5/7 of water, sewer, & electric utilities
b) Pay 5/7 of insurance
c) Establish a formula to calculate called worker salaries, but not including the compensation of those salaries
d) Establish salary of administrative assistant, extra help tutor, and custodial personnel & provide compensation to each
D. The School Improvement Committee shall:
1. Establish a long term plan/needs analysis and review it annually
2. Provide all interior building maintenance (all system maintenance [e.g. water, heat] will be provided by Mt. Calvary)
3. Provide all paint & furnishings
4. Manage all custodial services, building cleaning, & maintenance
5. Oversee all school building maintenance projects
6. Establish a long range capital improvements subcommittee
E. Since committees make recommendations to the full Mt. Calvary-Grace School Board, they may consist of males and females from our congregations.
1. Each committee shall be composed of members from both Mt. Calvary and Grace congregations.
2. Each staff member shall serve on a committee.
3. Each committee shall develop its own comprehensive role descriptions.